Head of Technical Publishing
TrustFlight Services is looking for a Head of Technical Publishing to support its ongoing rapid growth.
Reporting directly to the Head of Trustflight Services, the successful candidate will ensure the smooth and efficient delivery of all the technical documents we publish, which include aviation manuals, minimum equipment lists, and other documents commissioned by our clients. The Head of Technical Publishing will manage the internal and external resources to deliver these documents.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a proven track record of managing key tasks efficiently, delivering robust and resilient performance and to have the skills and ambition to drive the business forward.`
This is a senior leadership role and will attract a commensurate salary and benefits package.
As a member of the leadership team, the Head of Technical Publishing leads a growing team of ~10 technical writers.
- Operating the function on a day to day basis. This includes
- Ensuring delivery of smaller technical writing projects, such as the ongoing manual revision service and the creation of simple manuals
- Directly managing a small number of the larger technical publishing projects, such as the development of entire manual suites
- Working with the Lead Authors to coordinate the contributions to projects
- Supporting sales when required to demonstrate our delivery capabilities to our clients
- Reporting on Manuals project status to the management team, including risks, mitigations and budgetary performance
Developing the function. This includes
- Strengthening the management processes we rely on to deliver our technical writing projects
- Leading and growing the team of specialist authors, publishers and technical editors
- Developing the technical platform we use to further drive our capabilities and operational performance
The role will require about 50% of time on actual delivery of large technical writing projects and the remaining 50% on management.
About the Candidate
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience in operating a technical publishing function or similar
- Managing a team of technical writers
- Managing a large number of new publications based on re-usable elements
- Managing both creation of new documentation and maintaining a library of documents
- Strong leadership and communication skills:
- Ability to lead and shape a team of 10+ people mostly working remotely
- Hands-on attitude, “leading from the front”
- Able to introduce new processes and ways of working into the team
- Experience in publishing aviation manuals highly desirable, but could also have managed publishing of similar technical documents